Gone are the days when irons were solely used for pressing clothes. There are so many exciting ways to use an iron if you think out of the box. Yes, you read that correctly!
If you’re curious about how then keep scrolling down! Because we’ll show you 10 unique ways to use an iron in this article. So stay tuned!
10 Unique And Creative Ways To Use A Clothes Iron
1. Remove Dents In Your Carpet
So you just changed the setting of your living room furniture, and now you notice dents in the carpet. Oops! What to do now? Don’t worry; your iron will fix those annoying dents!
Here’s how to do it:
- Place a damp cloth or towel on the dent.
- Now, set your iron on steam mode and run it over the dented area for a minute.
- After 20-30 seconds, keep the iron aside and pick up the fibers with a stiff brush. You will notice that the dents will be gone. Voila!
Warning: Ensure that the iron does not directly contact the carpet; otherwise, it will be burned.
2. Fix Those Dents In Wood
Your iron can not only remove any dents from your carpet, but it can also fix dents on your wooden floor or furniture. Dents in wooden surfaces can be pretty annoying, but the good thing is, you can easily fix them yourself.
Here’s how to fix dents using your iron:
- Pour a little water over the dent or dip a cotton cloth in water and rub it onto the dent.
- Now, place a wet cloth on it.
- Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the wood to absorb the water.
- Adjust your iron on the hot mode and press it in a circular motion over the dented area for 2-3 minutes.
Although you will not be able to eradicate dents, ironing will render them less noticeable.
3. Heat Stains Vs. Iron
So, did your favorite coffee cup leave a mark on your glass table? Take it easy because your iron can do wonders when it comes to removing heat stains from your furniture.
Here’s how you can remove that stubborn heat stain using your iron:
- Keep a thin towel over the stain.
- Now adjust your iron at medium heat, with the steam function on.
- Gently press it over the stain for 15-20 seconds.
- Keep repeating the process until the stain disappears.
4. Remove That Stubborn Candle Wax
Scented candles add an aesthetic touch to your room and their beautiful aroma can instantly lift your mood. However, there’s a chance their stubborn wax could be spilled on your precious table. But you can remove the wax by simply using your iron!
Here’s how to use your iron for removing candle wax:
- First, let the wax dry completely, then scratch it as much as possible with a blunt knife.
- Now, place a paper towel over the spilled wax.
- Adjust your iron on low heat and run it onto the paper towel.
The wax will melt and stick to the paper towel. And you’re done!
5. Laminate Your Documents
From identity cards to any other document, you can now laminate anything using an iron.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Adjust your iron on either cotton setting or its lowest setting.
- Place your document into a plastic pouch, also known as a laminating pouch.
- Now, place the pouch on a hard surface and put a cotton cloth/towel over it.
- Press the iron down firmly for 20-30 seconds. Flip the pouch over after 30 seconds to do the other side.
- Let it cool for another 30 seconds, and you are done!
6. Straighten Those Curls
You’ll be surprised to learn that you can straighten your hair by just using your iron.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo since iron works better on damp hair.
- Divide them into sections and place a towel over the area you want to straighten.
- Spray your hair with a heat-protecting serum and place a towel on it.
- Adjust your iron on a medium setting and gently press it over the towel.
- Keep repeating the process until you cover all the sections of your hair.
You will be ready to flaunt your poker straight hair!
7. Heat Your Food
If you live in a hostel and don’t have access to a microwave, you can use your iron to heat food.
Here’s how to heat food using iron in 3 simple steps:
- Wrap your food in some silver foil and place it over a firm surface.
- Heat your iron on medium mode and press it over the foil.
- Flip the foil over to heat the other side.
Your hot food will be ready!
8. De-Wrinkle Your Paper
Wrinkled papers or notes aren’t pleasing to the eye at all. But don’t worry, because you can use an iron to de-wrinkle them just following these 2 simple steps:
- Place the wrinkled paper under a cotton cloth.
- Set your iron on low heat and run it over the cloth in circular motions. Repeat the process until the paper is smooth once again.
9. Iron On, Chewing Gum Off!
Chewing gum is cool, but it’s a disaster when it gets stuck on your favourite t-shirt!
Take it easy because you can simply remove it using an iron. Here’s how:
- Place a piece of cardboard on an even surface.
- No, place your towel on the chewing gum-strewn side of the cloth.
- Preheat the iron to medium heat and iron the cloth for 30 seconds.
- The gum will soften and stick to the cardboard. When you remove the towel, the gum will remain on the cardboard.
10. Seal That Packet!
You love binging on a pack of chips, and you leave some to eat later. But after a few hours, you notice that the chips are sealed. So, what are you going to do now? Relax because you can use an iron to seal your chips packet and enjoy it whenever you want.
- Cover the unsealed side of the packet with a piece of silver foil.
- Set your iron on medium heat and place it over the foil for 10 seconds. Done!
Warning: Make sure the iron doesn’t touch the plastic packaging, otherwise, it will melt.
What is the difference between pressing and ironing?
In ironing, hands move forward and backwards. In pressing, a particular area is pressed with an iron for a few seconds before being removed.
What is the effectiveness of ironing in terms of drying clothes?
Air drying clothes might take a long time, but with an iron, you can dry your garments within minutes.
We bet you’ll never look at your iron the same way again now that you’ve discovered all the numerous ways to utilise it!
It’s incredible how versatile a simple household item like iron can be. Let us know which hack you liked best in the comments section.
Also, if you try out any of these hacks, do let us know your experience. We’d be delighted to hear from you!