For several decades, the induction cooktop has been successful in America and Europe. However, Indian homemakers continue to treat this subject of technology somewhat wary. Let’s see why, and also learn more about this type of hob.
What are the Advantages?
The inductive stove has several advantages when compared with gas or electric panels.
- The operation is safe. The stove can be used even if there is a small curious child in the house. When he grabs his hands on the working panel, he will not get burned and will not even feel a pleasant warmth. Many experiments were carried out when a hand was calmly placed on the surface next to a pot of boiling water, or a layer of a piece of paper was made under the dishes – it did not light up.
- Efficiency. The efficiency (efficiency) of 90% is achieved. This figure is the highest among competitors. For example, the heating efficiency of glass ceramics is 50-60%, and the gas stove is 60-65%.
- There is no dependence of power on the voltage of the network.
- The heating speed of the panel is much higher, which means that cooking is faster. So scientists set up an experiment: half a liter of milk of the same temperature was boiled on an electric, gas, and inverter stove. In the latter case, the milk boiled much faster – 4 minutes 10 seconds compared to 4 minutes 48 seconds on gas and 5 minutes 32 seconds on electrics.
- Easy to clean. If you suddenly ran porridge away from the pot or you broke an egg past the pan, there is no reason to worry. Since it is not the stove that is heated, but only the dishes, the liquid remains a liquid; it will not burn and dry. It can be easily wiped with a kitchen cloth, and the stove will bleat like new.
- Economical consumption of electricity. Due to the high efficiency percentage, energy is spent only on heating dishes; there is no thermal effect on the air and the remaining panel. This is the main difference from an electric stove, where the current is spent heating the spiral. Here it is necessary to create a magnetic field in the induction coil, which is much less expensive. We will dwell on this in more detail when we consider the principle of operation of the induction stove.
- To turn on the burner, you need dishes of the appropriate diameter – at least 8 centimeters. This feature excludes the possibility of roasting a fork that accidentally fell to the surface. The intelligent panel also automatically calculates that the diameter of the bottom of the dishes should be at least half the diameter of the burner.
- There are many built-in cooking programs, unlike a gas hob. This makes the life of the hostess much more accessible and also saves a lot of time.
- It is impossible not to mention the appearance of the convection stove: smooth, shiny surface, minimalism in design, no extra buttons. By the way, a small tip: the panel in silver will look more advantageous in the kitchen since it is fewer noticeable spots of fat.
What types of induction cooktops are
Convector plates differ in size, functionality, as well as in the option of built-in:
- Size. The panel can be both 30×30 centimeters and reach a height of more than 100 centimeters in length. It depends on the chosen shape: square, rectangle, or hexagon. You can experiment with an attractive form and place tiles in different ways in the kitchen: it can even be angular.
- Functionality capabilities. The induction hob can be filled with various functions. Some of them are heat maintenance mode, pause mode, electronic timer, power adjustment, etc.
- the stove can be combined with an induction oven for the kitchen;
- the combined version provides for the presence of several burners, the work of which is based on different principles: two induction, two electric;
- A surface for several burners, which is easy to integrate into the kitchen furniture. Under it, you can install shelves for storage or oven;
- Tiles of small size with one burner, which is convenient to move around the apartment or even take with you on a trip.
What are the differences from other plates?
In addition to the qualities listed in the advantages, other features distinguish the convector plate from its competitors in the market.
First, it’s the price. Here the difference is noticeable immediately. An inductive panel to buy will be much more expensive than the gas or electricity model, which has a similar set of functions. But, on the other hand, the most straightforward induction can remain inexpensive and still of high quality. On the websites of equipment stores, you can find many budget options with photos, descriptions, and detailed reviews that reveal the advantages and disadvantages of all the models presented.
Secondly, for cooking in normal mode, you will need unique dishes. For example, it would help if you had dishes that have ferromagnetic properties. Don’t be intimidated by this complicated word. In simpler terms, a magnet should be attracted to the pans and pots. Such dishes for cooking can be found in any store; it is marked with a special icon indicating its properties.
Additionally, you can take a magnet with you and check the authenticity. However, it is not necessary to change the entire set of dishes for the sake of a new stove. Even if there is a layer of enamel on them, proven things made of cast iron and stainless steel will do. In no case do not use materials such as aluminum, copper, porcelain, glass, ceramics. There is a solution if you do not want to part with your favorite dishes but want a modern stove. Just buy special metal discs that attach to the bottom of your good old pot and make it suitable for use.
Thirdly, the convection stove makes a particular noise. It calmly buzzes or buzzes – this sound is made by working coils when interacting with dishes. The buzzing, however, is not too loud; it dissolves in the relaxed atmosphere of noisy fuss in the kitchen. In addition, the more modern the model of the hob, the quieter the sound it makes.
The principle of operation of the induction cooktop
Let’s finally deal with the question that torments all readers from the very beginning of the article. It’s time to learn how an induction cooktop works.
We owe the existence of the inductive plate to the famous English physicist Michael Faraday. It was he who, in 1831, discovered the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. In order not to delve into the history of science, let us turn to practice. First, let’s answer the question of what an induction stove means.
The hob consists of glass-ceramics. Under it is an induction coil made of copper wire, which resembles a flat snail with numerous turns on the sink. Electric current with a frequency of 20-60 kHz passes through all the arches of the coil, an alternating electromagnetic field appears, and then an induction current. Dishes with a ferromagnetic circuit are already mentioned above and become part of the electromagnetic circuit. Thus, the induction coil acts as the primary winding, and the dishes on the stove are the secondary winding. The bottom of the word is heated by induction eddy current.
Heat loss, in this case, is minimized. The main forces are directed to heating dishes, the food in words is heated, and the glass-ceramic surface is heated from its comments. And as soon as the pan is removed from the panel, it automatically turns off and cools in a matter of minutes.
Recommendations for use
- In no case do not use dishes made of materials that are not suitable for use in conjunction with the induction hob.
- Some models automatically turn off after 2-3 hours. So you should keep an eye on your stove if you cook something for a long time.
- Where there is an opportunity to place an oven, dishwasher, microwave oven, and other metal items of equipment under every induction stove, when choosing a model, pay attention to this, get advice from a specialist.
Malfunctions of induction cooktops
Despite the high cost, the plate is not perfect and can break like any other. The most common problems are:
- insufficiently robust heating – associated with the wrong diameter or location of the dishes, as well as with overheating of the copper coil;
- one of the burners or a whole row does not work – most often due to the incompatibility of dishes with the type of stove;
- there is no connection – it is necessary to check the fuse and power supply;
- The residual heat indicator is broken – run a software test to check the operation of the temperature sensor.
There are not so many faults, and all of them are subject to the solution. In extreme cases, you will help them master – a specialist in repairing inverter plates.
What the market offers, the leading manufacturers.
In the shops of equipment in Moscow, there are many different models and manufacturers. The most famous of them are: AEG-Electrolux, ILVE, BOSCH, Hansa, Zanussi, Samsung, Siemens, Gorenje. Among the proposed options, there are both more economical brands and focused on the premium class of consumers.
Induction cooktop technology is the most advanced and modern in the world. It is still only gaining popularity but has already managed to get the well-deserved respect of cooking lovers living in developed countries.