Modern dishwashers are economical, small, and multifunctional. They wash dishes and cutlery and qualitatively clean pots, pans, crystal, removable parts of kitchen appliances. After washing in the dishwasher, dishes will shine with purity, and from fatty plaque and pathogens will not remain a trace.
The main rules to Choose a Dishwasher
Choosing a dishwasher is not easy, especially for those who do it for the first time. A lot of models, manufacturers, functions can turn the head of even the most experienced buyers. But, if you put everything on the shelves before you come to the store, the dishwasher’s choice will turn into a real pleasure.
The size and dimensions of dishwashers
- Full-size – accommodating up to 12-16 sets of dishes, and having the largest dimensions – 60 x60 x85 cm.
- Narrow-sized – designed for 6-9 sets and differing width of only 45 cm. Narrow dishwashers, as a rule, are designed for small families of 2-4 people and are in the middle price category.
- Compact – allow you to wash up to 4-5 sets of dishes at a time. They are only 45 x55 x45 cm in size, so they can fit even in a miniature kitchen, although the efficiency of their washing is inferior to the previous two types.
All dishwashers can be divided into only two types: embedded and free-standing by the type of installation. In turn, embedded are divided into fully- and partially embedded.
- Semi-adjustable models have an open panel, as opposed to a half-new, in which the panel is at the top of the door.
- In the full-scale dishwashers, the top remains open. With this, you can perfectly fit the technique into the interior, covering it with a countertop. Also, such machines’ design allows you to hide the door behind a decorative panel made of the same materials as the rest of the kitchen furniture.
- Separately standing machines with the same technical characteristics as the built-in wash are much cheaper, and certain models suggest further embedding.
Washing, drying, and energy class
Like the rest of the kitchen appliances, the dishwashers are divided into classes that determine the quality of the sink, the degree of drying, and the amount of electricity consumed. The higher these indicators, the better the dishwasher will wash away, dry the dishes while saving electricity.
By European standards, the efficiency in dishwashers has 7 classes, denoted in Latin letters A-G.
- Class A is impeccable cleanliness and high-quality drying of dishes. The dishwashers of this class are the most economical. Also, the energy consumption of this class is only 0.8- 1.05 kWh. Up to 15 liters of water are consumed in one complete cycle of washing, instead of manual washing of the same amount of dishes, which would require at least 60 liters.
- Class B – the presence of minor stains or divorces on the dishes. B-class dishwashers are also considered economical because they have moderate electricity consumption of 1.06 to 1.09 kWh.
- Class C – the presence of unwashed fragments and drops of water. Models of this class have the highest electricity consumption – from 1.1 to 1.49 kWh.
Programs for washing dishes
A set of functions present in almost all dishwashers:
- Pre-washing – washing food with a jet of cold water;
- Washing is a standard wash with a special detergent;
- Rinse – rinsing with water washed dishes;
- Drying – drying with hot air.
Expensive machines have an even more advanced functionality: intensive washing at high temperatures, a program for washing fragile products at low temperatures, a fast wash for rinsing “fresh” dishes, half-loading mode.
The technology of drying after washing dishes can also be different:
- Condensation – evaporates moisture from the surface of the washed dishes with the heat produced by the machine itself. This type of drying is the most economical but impractical because it requires time-consuming. Also, after drying on the dishes, may remain stains from water droplets.
- Turbosushka – is found, inexpensive models. In this case, the dish is blown by the fan and dries much faster, and on its surface, there are no traces of water.
There are two ways to connect the dishwasher to the water supply: cold or hot water supply. As a rule, all dishwashers must connect to cold water, heated in the built-in tank during washing. Connecting directly to hot water will save electricity, but washing dishes can take a while when working on low-temperature modes.
Other selection criteria
Aqua-Stop automatically blocks the valve on the water hose. If the system works, the excess water will merge into the sewer. This safety system is not equipped with all models, so it is worth clarifying whether this function is present in the dishwasher because each manufacturer calls it differently.
There are several filters in the dishwashers. Their regular cleaning will provide excellent quality washing without divorces and stains. Some models are equipped with self-cleaning filters that wipe the residues of products, washing them into the drain. This will not clog the drainage system, which will increase the life of the machine. The self-cleaning function saves water by reusing it after filtration and reducing the energy consumption of water heating.
Modern dishwashers usually have a digital display that displays all the necessary information about the chosen program and the end of washing. Certain controls can be hidden behind the door. Many dishwashers also have a lock function for children.
The most popular manufacturers of dishwashers
- Undoubtedly leaders among foreign dishwasher manufacturers are Bosch, AEG, ELECTROLUX, Gorenje, Siemens. Machines of these brands are the most reliable, but their cost is quite high, although each has budget lines.
- There are also manufacturers producing premium equipment on the market: Schulthess, Asko, Gaggenau. Their products are the most expensive, but at the same time, the most high-quality. Most often, this technique is used for professional purposes.
- Excellent quality has dishwashers such as LG, Samsung, Ardo, Hotpoint-Ariston, Whirpool, Zanussi, Beko, Indesit. These brands have a wide range of models and better service support. Their pricing policy is quite flexible, and the models are distinguished by modern design and rich functionality.
- The cheapest appliances are found in manufacturers Daewoo, Saturn, Kaiser, Delfa, West, Liberton. The disadvantages of dishwashers of this segment are frequent silences, poor quality of washing, limited life.
Widespread customer errors
- The efficiency of the dishwasher is responsible for such indicators as drying and washing class. Models, on the label of the Latin letter “A,” can easily, quickly, and, most importantly, effectively wash and dry dishes, but only if you give preference to a proven manufacturer.
- The dishwasher’s inner surface should be made of high-quality stainless steel because, in addition to the excellent appearance, such a finish is easy to care for, has a strong coating, not afraid of falling on it heavy pots, pans, and plates.
- Embedded technology is distinguished precisely by the fact that it is hidden behind the external panel. Such machines usually work so quietly that it is almost impossible to determine whether the washing cycle is finished. Therefore, for owners of embedded equipment, the presence of an indicator will be a handy function in the form of a red beam on the floor.