A broken refrigerator is a real disaster for the whole family. Know the most common breakdowns of the refrigerator and their causes must necessarily not violate the rules of operation and in case of what – to know when you can cope with their hands, and when to call the master.
Modern appliances have become so firmly into our lives that we have stopped noticing it and appreciating the benefits it gives us. But only if some device breaks down, we immediately understand how much it makes our life easier. One of the most striking examples is the refrigerator. It stores food for at least a few days, and the freezer stores stocks of meat, berries, ice cream and semi-finished products. In a matter of hours, the products begin to melt and spoil, so the broken refrigerator – a real disaster for the whole family. Know the most common breakdowns of the refrigerator and their causes must necessarily not violate the rules of operation and in case of what – to know when you can cope with their hands, and when to call the master.
Common Refrigerator Breakdown Problems and Fixes
The interior of the fridge has been lost.
You can’t call this problem a problem. Many generally prefer not to do anything with it because the lack of light does not affect the functionality but is still noticeably difficult to review. Hence, it is better to fix the problem.
Causes of breakdown:
- Breaking the light button
- Burnt the lamp;
- there is no electricity, or the fork is poorly attached to the socket.
As a rule, the problem is solved without calling the master, but you may need help if the reason is the button.
The fridge is not turned on.
Worse, if the light bulb is on fire, and the refrigerator does not work, i.e. does not freeze. Reasons:
- the compressor is out of order, and clicks can be heard. A winding break or closure can cause a problem;
- malfunction of the sensor or thermoregulator, i.e. the refrigerator can not determine that the temperature inside has increased. If the reason is in the thermoregulator, you need to find two wires that lead to it, remove them with the terminal and connect. If the reason is in the thermoregulator, the refrigerator will work;
- if the light bulb is not on fire and the electricity connection problems are excluded, the reason may be in the relay. You can check with the omme if you disconnect and call the relay;
- failure in the control module. Sensors receive signals about the need to turn on the motor, but the board does not perceive them or does not transmit it to the motor.
To determine the cause of the problem, you need to be diagnosed by a master. A malfunctioning item needs to be replaced.
The fridge doesn’t turn off.
This is also a problem, as the refrigerator works for wear and spends a lot of electricity. The reason can be banal – the refrigerator door is slightly ajar, or the external temperature is too high. The door must be closed and the temperature to be reconfigured. The problem can also be covered in the included emergency freezing mode. Among the more serious reasons:
- Damaged or worn seal on the fridge door, i.e. the door is adjacent to the refrigerator loosely, allowing warm air;
- Malfunction of the thermosensor or thermoregulator, i.e. the signal about reaching a certain temperature inside the refrigerator either does not exist, or it does not go well;
- Control module malfunction. All systems work normally, but the module does not transmit commands to the engine;
- The leak of refrigerant;
- in the capillary tube of the vaporizer, there was depressurization and formed an ice clot, resulting in a blockage;
- the compressor failed.
Strong noise at work
It happens that the refrigerator at work begins to growl and buzz much more strongly than it is typical for normal work. Reasons:
- The refrigerator is installed incorrectly; it comes into contact with walls or pieces of furniture, there is a vibration. It is necessary to move the refrigerator a little, and the noise can be disposed of;
- Violation in the suspension of the compressor, you can try to adjust the suspension bolts;
- Faulty fan
- Faulty or worn-out engine, whose operation also causes noise;
- unsustainable relay position in the magnetic field of the pillow.
The refrigeration chamber does not freeze.
Often there are situations when the freezer works and the refrigeration – not. The reason may be simple. For example, not a tightly closed refrigerator door or a fan with such a large ice layer that it cannot rotate freely. If these problems are excluded, the reasons should be found in the following:
- The fan’s electric motor has failed;
- The leak of freon, while, as a rule, the ice freezes unevenly, and the walls are blown. When the freon is leaked through the freezer’s steel case, traces of rust appear on the refrigerator body. The contour with freon can be damaged by aggressive cleaning of the refrigerator from ice;
- compressor malfunction in the refrigeration chamber. This is not always the case, but it may be evidenced by an oil stain’s appearance under the refrigerator.
The freezer doesn’t freeze.
If the freezer door fits the cell normally, the correct temperature is exposed, and the inside of the freezer is still too warm, you can suspect the following troubles:
- The freezer compressor failed (in refrigerators with two compressors);
- The fault of the switch valve, which distributes the cold in the chambers (for refrigerators with one compressor);
- Malfunction of the freezer thermostat, which does not signal in time that the temperature inside has risen;
- Temperature sensor malfunction
- Freon’s leak.
The fridge is too hard or too cold.
Immediately it is necessary to exclude the banal reason – the incorrect setting of the thermal model. If it’s all right, and vegetables even on the lower shelves freeze, then there may be several reasons:
- weak attachment of the siphon tube, which weakens contact with the vaporizer wall, or the tube comes out from under the surface of the pressed bar. You need to fix the tube correctly;
- the thermoregulator fails. Try to put it in a position close to a minimum. If this does not help, you will have to change the thermoregulator.
Another problem is when the refrigerator seems to work, but the inside is still too warm. Causes of this trouble:
- Damage to the sealer
- The presence of heating appliances next to the refrigerator;
- The fridge is too close to the wall;
- The leak of refrigerant;
- direct sunlight is constantly on the fridge.
The fridge turns on and off immediately.
The sooner this problem is solved, the better for the refrigerator. If you tighten, you may need more expensive repairs or replacement of the refrigerator.
- Compressor malfunction
- breakdown of the start-up relay.
Formation of a snow coat
Among the reasons for the appearance of a thick layer of ice in the refrigeration and freezer, there are both banal and specific:
- if you constantly put hot products in the refrigerator, often open the doors and put the liquid in the open dishes, the inside will be quite a high level of humidity, and moisture at low temperatures freezes, settling on the walls and shelves in the form of ice;
- Wear the seal;
- poor air circulation, i.e. space is literally clogged with food; there is no air between them.
Bad smell in the fridge
First, it’s worth checking to see if anything in the far corner of the refrigeration chamber has gone bad. We also exclude another banality – the presence of a product with a strong specific smell. As a rule, any odour is eliminated during careful cleaning of the refrigerator. The reasons for its appearance are clear:
- improper operation of the refrigerator and storage of products in the open, as well as storage of spoiled products;
- Leaving the fridge closed for a long time;
- wet insulation. The liquid can get behind the facing panel, accumulate there and become an excellent environment for bacteria development.
When you touch the fridge, it beats the current.
The reason here is only one – there is a leak of current on the body. Weak electric shocks you can feel with any touch to the refrigerator or only when the compressor works. If the fridge is on the cement floor or metal flooring, the bumps may be stronger.
If a similar problem is detected, it is better to disconnect the refrigerator from the network and measure the megohmmeter of the insulation resistance size. If this option is less than 10 mOm, you will need urgent repairs. You can’t do it on your own – it’s better to call specialists right away. Residents of Yekaterinburg can be recommended service to repair refrigerators “Polyus.” Experienced masters of the company arrive at the call in 15-30 minutes, carry out repairs right at your home (in case of a complex breakdown, have to carry out repairs in the service centre), use spare parts from manufacturers do not impose additional services. All parts and works are guaranteed.
There’s water under the fridge
If y.ou saw a puddle under the bottom of the refrigerator, it is worth suspecting one of the following reasons:
- Electricity was cut off for a while, and the frost began to melt;
- damage to drainage system pipes or their displacement;
- overflowing the water collection capacity or shifting it (in refrigerators where there is such a capacity);
- clogging the drain tube.
Most breakdowns are difficult to diagnose on their own and even more difficult – to perform repairs, in order, really, to return to health and nothing damage. Your equipment will be more intact and durable if you can do without amateurism in the matter of repair.
In addition to the above breakdowns, there are specific faults characteristic of refrigerators of certain manufacturers. Masters with these weaknesses are familiar, so they can quickly understand what caused this or that fault.