On the market of tableware every year there are more and more new products. Especially popular among consumers is a frying pan with a granite coating. This material has non-stick properties; it differs from Teflon spraying environmental friendliness and good performance. Our article will get acquainted with the nuances of choosing a frying pan and the pros and cons of each version of such dishes.
How to choose a frying pan
Many do not know which frying pan is the best and safest. When choosing such a product, you need to pay attention to the following nuances:
- Material of manufacture, presence or absence of non-stick coating.
- The heavier the product, the better it is. The bottom and walls in such dishes will be thick; it is possible to have several non-stick layers.
- For operation on a gas stove, any frying pan is used.
- For glass-ceramic cooking surfaces, devices with a flat and thick bottom are chosen; they are evenly heated and hold the temperature well. For such a household appliance, copper or aluminium utensils are not suitable.
- Such products will leave stains on the hob.
- For operation on an induction stove, a frying pan with a special designation on the surface (in the form of an electromagnet coil) is suitable.
- The device should have a removable handle; then, it can be put in the oven.
- The optimal height of a standard pan is 3 centimeters; for a pancake, this parameter is reduced to 1 centimeter, the minimum thickness of the bottom of the product is 4 millimetres. The thicker the bottom, the better; this will prevent possible deformations.
- The diameter of the product depends on the number of household members and the size of the burner. One person can use a frying pan with a diameter of 24 centimetres. If three people live in the house, the diameter of the device is increased to 28 centimetres.
- Do not save money on dishes; it is better to buy a quality product once than change it every year. And remember, the cost of a good frying pan starts from 1500 rubles.
The most important selection criterion is the material of manufacture of the pan. Previously, dishes were made of cast iron, but now other materials are used for their manufacture. Next, let’s get acquainted with the most popular varieties of frying pans by the material of manufacture, consider the advantages and disadvantages of each product.
Pros and cons of the aluminium frying pan
Aluminium cookware without the presence of additional coatings is considered the cheapest option for a frying pan. Such products have more disadvantages than advantages, so they will soon be forced out of the market by more modern models.
- quick heating of the working surface
- small mass
- minimum cost
- burning food during frying
- possibility of mechanical damage to the surface
- dishes are afraid of the effects of alkalis and acids
- overheating causes deformation of the surface of the product
Not every homemaker knows how to choose a frying pan made of aluminium. For this purpose, pick up products with a thick bottom of 5 millimetres, and they will serve you for at least five years.
Pros and cons of stainless steel pan
Professional chefs choose such products because stainless steel does not react with food and other substances. This material well preserves the natural taste of cooked products.
- ease of care;
- the material is not afraid of corrosion;
- tableware has a long service life;
- the surface is not afraid of mechanical damage; there are no traces of knives or forks on it;
- you can wash dishes hot, after cooking.
Disadvantages of the product:
- it is necessary to mix food constantly; it can burn;
- Overheating the pan leads to the formation of coloured stains on the surface, but this does not affect food quality.
Aluminium products are ideal for extinguishing products. For operation at home, it is recommended to select products with thick walls and a double bottom.
Pros and cons of cast iron frying pan
Cast iron is considered the oldest material used to make pans; despite this, it still enjoys success with homemakers. Cast iron cookware has high thermal conductivity; it heats up quickly and cools slowly, ideal for prolonged heat treatment of products.
The material in question is not deformed and does not come into contact with food. Over time, the pan’s surface is covered with a particular oil film, which works like a non-stick coating. Care for dishes is quite simple, rinse them with water and wipe them with a soft cloth. In addition, cast iron is not afraid of the effects of alkalis and acids.
To get a cast iron pan of good quality, it is necessary to pre-harden the dishes. Do it like this:
- Wash the inner surface of the product with a solution of water and detergent.
- Wipe the device dry.
- Lubricate the device with vegetable oil, which will allow you to get a stable non-stick film.
- The pan is pierced for an hour in the oven at a temperature of 150 degrees. During this process, it is necessary to put the device upside down.
The main disadvantages of the products in question are a significant mass and the possibility of damage to the surface by rust. In a cast-iron frying pan, you can not store ready-made food. After such processing, you can significantly increase the service life of cast iron cookware.
Pros and cons of a copper pan
Copper cookware conducts heat well but is expensive. Such cutlery has an antibacterial effect and fights pathogenic bacteria and fungus, not penetrating the food.
The main disadvantage of copper products is the impossibility of storing products with fatty acids in such dishes. With direct contact, the destruction of specific vitamins occurs, which can lead to cancer. Such effects are also harmful to young children and alcoholics (when copper comes into contact with some products, toxic substances arise that can cause cirrhosis of the liver). To prevent the negative impact of copper on the human body, it is necessary to constantly remove the green coating from the surface of the device.
With what coating is it better to buy a frying pan
We figured out the cookware materials; now we will get acquainted with the best pans with non-stick coating.
Teflon coating on cutlery has been popular for many years. The main advantages of such a coating include:
- the material is resistant to acids and alkalis;
- food can be cooked without vegetable oil;
- products do not stick to the surface.
Despite the mass of positive qualities, Teflon also has disadvantages. When heated above 200 degrees, the product begins to emit harmful substances, carcinogens. Dishes are afraid of mechanical effects with sharp objects, has a short period of operation. Even the best non-stick Teflon pan needs special care. Food is such dishes are rotated with wooden or silicone blades, a soft foam sponge without abrasive substances is used to clean the surface. With proper care, Teflon coating can last up to 4 years.
One of the best coatings for a frying pan is ceramics. In terms of properties, this material resembles Teflon but has even more valuable characteristics. The advantages of the products in question include:
- high durability;
- the naturalness of the coating material;
- absence of harmful emissions with solid heating of the surface;
- cutlery is not afraid of exposure to a knife or any other sharp object.
Along with the advantages of a stone frying pan, there are several disadvantages:
- such utensils are not used for cooking on induction cookers;
- products are afraid of temperature changes;
- the material is not intended for cleaning in the dishwasher.
Always choose expensive quality products for home use. Unscrupulous sellers can slip you aluminium dishes with an enamel coating.
Pans with titanium coating
According to the technical characteristics, such products are similar to dishes made of cast iron. These are reliable and expensive cutlery that can be used for stewing and frying products and baking various words in the oven.
The main advantages of the products in question are:
- uniform and fast heating of the surface;
- good indicators of wear resistance;
- resistance of the coating to the effects of sharp objects;
- ease of cooking, no need to pour oil;
- minimal harm to a pan with a titanium coating, it is safe for humans;
- the material is not covered with rust and does not deform.
Such dishes are considered one of the most expensive; they are not suitable for an induction stove.
A stone pan interested with marble is the same product as a Teflon coating, so they have similar technical characteristics, pros and cons of use.
The advantages of the products in question include:
- affordable cost;
- attractive appearance;
- ease of surface cleaning;
- the presence of non-stick coating, products do not stick to the walls of dishes.
Products with a marble coating have several disadvantages. Their main drawback is a short period of operation, so it is necessary to carefully handle the non-stick coating, use wooden blades for mixing products.
Pans with granite coating
Considering all kinds of non-stick coatings of pans, you should pay attention to the model with a surface that imitates granite. Solid particles improve the technical characteristics of the protective film, making it durable and robust compared to Teflon. When exposed to high temperatures, granite coating is not separated from the product and does not threaten human health.
FareDuring heat treatment, food does not stick to the surface and is easily removed with a regular kitchen sponge moistened in detergent. The surface of such dishes is evenly heated, which provides good stewing or roasting of food in all parts of the product. The only drawback of the product is the comparative fragility of the non-stick material, so you need to use wooden blades to mix food.
The following parameters can determine the quality of products:
- Weight, the more the dishes weigh, the more reliable it is.
- Material of manufacture (cast iron, aluminium, stainless steel or copper). Each of the products has its strengths and weaknesses. With the characteristics of the material we got acquainted with the above.
- Usability. The undoubted leader in this category is cast iron cookware; it quickly warms up and retains heat well.
- The presence of non-stick coating. Such cutlery is easy to use, but they are short-lived. The more convex the relief of the bottom and the thicker the wall, the better
- The presence of a special retainer for the handle. If necessary, you can remove the fasteners and turn the pan into a form for pies.
For a gas stove, dishes with a ribbed bottom are ideal; for a ceramic hob, it is recommended to use cutlery with a bottom thickness of at least 3 millimeters. For a standard electric stove, you will need any pan.
Care of a frying pan with non-stick coating
During cooking, it is necessary to use wooden or silicone blades. The use of metal objects for mixing food is not recommended. Even the best pan with a non-stick coating will not withstand such an impact. Metal objects will create scratches, which will lead to the destruction of the surface.
Overheating such dishes is also undesirable; sharp temperature changes will lead to the destruction of the coating. Words can not be washed with abrasives and use chemicals with alkalis and acids in the composition.
Non-stick pan service life
The duration of operation of the product depends on the thickness of the coating. Dishes with a thin protective layer with the proper operation will serve their owner for at least three years; the textured layer extends the period of process up to 6 years, a well-defined rough surface – at least ten years.