Doctors note that most diseases are caused by low-quality drinking water. Liquid flowing from our faucets can conceal a huge amount of harmful impurities: heavy metals, microorganisms, salts. For those who are not ready to experiment, checking their body for endurance, experts recommend buying a filter that will clean water at home. This article will try to tell you about the types of filters, how to purify water and buyers’ worst mistakes.
THE MAIN CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
It is important to bear in mind that water purifiers differ both in how they are treated and in the amount of water they can clean qualitatively over a specific time period.
Types of household water filters
The simplest and usually cheapest filters are a container, in the form of a jug, in the truest part of a cleaning cartridge. The working principle is quite simple: water is poured into the jug’s top, passes through the cartridge and in small portions (1 litre for 5-7 minutes) enters the main container. The resource of such filters is quite limited and rarely exceeds 300 litres. The cleaning element rids sand and dirty water, partially traps chlorine, heavy metals, and various chemical compounds.
Pitcher filters, due to their compactness and inexpensive cost, are in high demand. But it is worth remembering that they perfectly clean only relatively clean water, with serious pollution such filters will not cope.
Tap Nozel Water Filter
With the help of a special nozzle, this filter is put on the faucet. The cleaning quality is close to the jug-type filters, but the faucet’s nozzles are much more convenient to operate. Some models need to be removed from the faucet, while others have a special valve that starts water bypassing the filter cartridge. The filter-nozzle performance ranges from 0.5 to 1 litre.
Filters of this kind are embedded directly into the water system itself. Simultaneously, water accumulates in the tank, and multi-stage filtration allows for cleaning the water from both mechanical impurities and harmful chemicals. The main advantage of flowing filters is the high quality of cleaning and maximum performance (1.5-5 l/min). However, flowing filters are quite expensive, complex to install and require periodic replacement of expensive consumables.
How to clean up
It is advisable to find out what impurities are present in the water that needs to be cleaned. The filters are divided into:
- Mechanical. Used to remove sand, rust, silt, clay, dirt and other mechanical particles up to 20-40 microns from the water. Often such filters serve as a preliminary rough cleaning of liquid, delaying pollution, which can lead to the breakdown of household appliances.
- Ion exchange. Used to soften hard water. The principle of such a filter is to replace calcium and magnesium ions, which form insoluble compounds, with chlorine, sodium or other soluble chemical compounds.
- Reverse osmosis. The best water purification systems that exist today. They not only remove stiffness, chlorine and excess iron but also destroy various bacteria and even viruses. A filter element in such systems is a reverse-osmotic microscopic membrane, the size of pores in which many times less than many viruses. This allows you to get artesian drinking water at home.
Since the water purification filter will be in constant contact with water, it must be made of high-quality and environmentally friendly materials.
- Plastic parts should not have foreign odours.
- Water filters with a separate faucet connected directly to the water pipe must be made of durable materials.
- Excellent, if the water purifier is made of a glass-filled plastic, which is much stronger than plastic.
OTHER SELECTION CRITERIA
- Cleaning steps. The more of them, the better the result of the filter will be. Flow and filters based on reverse osmosis have a multi-stage cleaning system that allows you to clean the water from almost all impurities. But the more interchangeable cartridges in the filter, the more expensive it will be to replace them in the future.
- Savings tank. The jugs and filters under the sink have storage tanks for purified water. This is convenient because you don’t have to wait for the filter to filter out the required water amount.
- Mineralizers. Some stationary filters are equipped with mineralizers that saturate the water with the most necessary minerals for humans: calcium, magnesium and sodium.
- Bio activators. Called to restore the natural structure of water. As they pass through the bioceramic cartridge, the molecules get the right structure. Such water has a beneficial effect on the body, stimulates circulation, destroys toxins, removes fats, and increases the blood’s oxygen content.
- Ultraviolet. Provides additional bactericidal treatment of treated purified water.
- Ultrafiltration. This is excellent clean water, but, unlike the reverse osmosis system, it does not change the mineral composition of water.
MOST POPULAR MANUFACTURERS
The market is represented by a fairly large number of both domestic and foreign manufacturers of water filters.
- Aquafor, Brita, Instapure, Nivona, Ariete, Aquafilter and others have proved themselves best. Their products are of excellent quality and have a low percentage of marriage.
- Water filters from Electrolux, Atoll, Raifil, Dewberry and Leader have an average price category and impeccable quality.
- Manufacturers such as Geyser, Cristal and Barrier produce the cheapest products.
WIDESPREAD CUSTOMER ERRORS
The main criterion for choosing a water filter is not the price or design, but the water condition. You can identify water problems on the following signs: scrimp on the dishes speaks about a large number of salts. In this case, it is worth purchasing a filter that softens the hard water. The unpleasant smell and green sediment indicate the presence of organic compounds in the water. A filter with a reverse osmosis system is suitable for such water. Water from the well also requires pre-cleaning, as it contains impurities of manganese, iron, hydrogen sulfide, etc.
Any, even the most expensive filter requires a regular change of cleaning cartridges, so it is unwise to purchase a filter with high performance if it is used only from time to time. And the cartridge in the jug filter should constantly be in the water. Otherwise, the quality of water purification will drop dramatically.
There is an opinion that imported filters clean the best water, but it is not always correct. Water-cleaning systems from Russian manufacturers are inferior to foreign ones, and in some cases even surpass them in their characteristics. Also, foreign manufacturers pay more attention to the internal content of cartridges, but their products’ external design. Another advantage of water purification filters from domestic firms is that they are adapted to our water’s peculiarities.
The choice of a household water filter should be based on common-sense principles. A conventional filter jug will not clean the water of all kinds of contaminants. If a small child is in the house, it is better to buy a filter with a reverse osmosis system, even though there is small water consumption.