How to clean the water heater? Many believe that it is better to call a master for this work. We will tell you how to clean the appliances yourself at home.
Poor water with impurities destroys parts. Cleaning them and the heater tank is carried out to extend the life. Read our publication and make sure: you can maintain the technique with your own hands.
When and for what to clean the Water Heater
The water heater should be cleaned regularly. Poor water, which flows through the water supply, over time disrupts the work of technology. Therefore, experts recommend the additional installation of water filters.
A thick layer of scum on the TEN leads to poor heat. It heats the water worse and heats up longer. As a result, a large amount of electricity is consumed, and there is no proper effect. Over time, the part overheats and burns.
Hard water negatively affects not only the technique but also the health of the person: the skin condition deteriorates. It also uses twice as much detergent.
How do you know it’s time to clean the boiler? Intensive operation is already an indication for cleaning. Also, note these signs:
- Long-term heating of water.
- Increased electricity consumption.
- During the work, you can hear the noise (this scrimp, settled on the bottom, creates friction on the wall of the tank).
- The water has become yellowish color with an unpleasant smell.
- The case walls are very overheated (the surrounding equipment, walls, sockets can be heated).
- During the heat, you can hear a hiss.
- The boiler turns on and off.
How often do you need to clean the heating tank from the scum
Several factors determine frequency:
- If you have high-hard water (with lots of impurities), clean the appliance every 6-9 months. If the water is normal, it is enough to perform the procedure every 2-2.5 years.
The white plaque will help to determine the hardness of the water. If it often appears on your faucet and faucet, if the detergents are bad foaming – this indicates a large content of lime. You can check the concentration more accurately with special devices.
- With constant use of a temperature above 60 degrees, more frequent cleaning is required.
Periodically it is necessary to look into the tank, lifting the top cover. If the magnesium anode is almost worn out, it is time to carry out prevention and replacement.
You can clean the equipment with your own hands:
- Mechanical (physical) impact.
- Treatment with acidic solutions.
Cleaning the Water Heater at home
This is not an easy process, requiring some skills in the disassembly of technology. We’ll describe the sequence of work.
Preparing tools and water heater
- Cross and slot screwdriver.
- A special cleaning agent.
Now we need to prepare the technique. How to do without disassembly boiler and clean without removing it from the wall? Look inside the case. If the contamination is minor and accumulated near the heater, wash the garbage through the faucet. Let the dirty water drain.
When growing up on the walls of the tank and details must be sure to remove the body, disassemble, pull out and clean the elements.
How to drain water
First of all, turn off the water heater from the network. If it is above the bathroom, then it is enough to twist the TEN inside and empty the device. But if the TEN is attached to the flank and pulled out, it is better to release the tank in advance.
- Cover the water in the apartment.
- Near the boiler, cover the cold valve, and let the hot one stay open. Wait until the liquid drains (pre-setting the container).
- Another option: plug the hose into the choke and lower it into the drain sink.
If you are not satisfied with this situation, you can drain the water through the safety valve. Remove it and let the water drain.
Demolition of the heater
Now we need to pull out TEN:
- Open the bottom panel. It can be attached to snaps or bolts.
- Turn off the wiring from the heater (pre-take a picture of the connections).
- If the flan is bolted, unscrew them and pull out the heater.
Is your TEN model on top? Then it is better to remove the tank from the wall in advance. To do this, lift it and pull on yourself to release the brackets.
How to dismantle TEN in different brands:
- “Ariston.” The element is attached to the flank, so you need to push it inside, crank and take it out. The water heater can be flushed without removing the body, as all the elements are at the bottom.
- Terms. Demolition is similar.”
If you have a technique from another manufacturer – Timberg, Polaris, Titan, check out the instructions.
It is possible to clean the heater from scum mechanically. If the plaque is loose, peel it off with a knife. It doesn’t work? Then slightly press the sediments with pliers; they themselves will fall off. Then rinse with water.
Be careful not to damage the insulation of the heater.
Next to the TEN is a magnesium anode. If worn hard, it is better to replace it. The diameter of the thread will help to choose the right element.
Cleaning the tank
It is most convenient to remove the body and wash off the pollution under the shower. Mucus and a small plaque can be rubbed with a sponge. Just do not use hard brushes and abrasive substances – damage the enamel of the case.
Strong plaque is removed by special means. You can use:
- Lemon acid. Spread 50g per liter of water.
- Vinegar essence: 2 teaspoons per liter.
- Vinegar (8%): 5 tablespoons per liter.
The product is poured into the tank and stays overnight. Then the contents merge, the walls are washed with warm water.
If the device is connected, you can do otherwise. Leave only a third of the water inside and pour the solution. Set the heating temperature to 90-95 degrees. Leave for 5-7 hours. Then drain the solution and rinse the tank.
Elimination of unpleasant odors
If you smell bad when using water from the heater, you need to clean. For what reason it happens:
- Water contains many sulfates. They come into contact with magnesium anode; hydrogen sulfide is released. To eliminate the reaction, you will have to remove the magnesium rod.
- Stagnant water serves as a breeding ground for bacteria. If you haven’t used the device for a long time, set the highest temperature and warm up the contents.
Does nothing help? Then you need to take the water to the SES for analysis. The results will show the cause of the problem.
Before you assemble the boiler in reverse sequence, carefully examine all the details.
- When the rubber seal is worn, it is better to install a new one. If it is still normal, grease the sealing surface and all the rubber elements with a sealant.
- Take a look at TEN. If you’re damaged or worn, install a new item.
- Be sure to replace the magnesium anode; it protects the body from rust.
- Once the flank has been installed, and the bolts are secured, connect to the pipeline.
- First hot water is supplied, and then cold.
- Please do not turn on the device until it is fully full.
- Look at the surface: if there is a leak.
- Connect to the network, set the thermoregulator at the right temperature.
To extend the life of the equipment, use our recommendations:
- Install reagent filters. Their cartridges contain substances that soften water. Replacing cartridges in a timely way will help improve water quality. Sodium filters are considered to be more effective.
They release reagent filters. They emit a strong magnetic field, salt particles change shape and do not settle on the surface. Such products are more expensive.
- When buying, pay attention to the RNA material. The galvanized and black metal is the fastest rusting.
- Magnetic thermoregulators work best.