Hair smoothing or hair smoothening is a process to tame frizziness and dryness in your hair. This process breaks down hair bonds and restructures them.
Hair smoothening products contain a formaldehyde solution that saturates and dries your hair. With the help of a straightener, it smoothens them.
However, using a formaldehyde solution has its own set of disadvantages. This chemical acts as an irritant that causes you to sneeze, cough, and even burn your throat.
Moreover, inhaling formaldehyde gas can cause fatal breathing problems.
Using a chemical-based treatment for your hair will only damage it and make it brittle in the long run.
So, if you want to smoothen your hair at home, this article has got you covered!
You will learn about the benefits of hair smoothing, different ways of hair smoothing, and how to smoothen your hair at home, along with some tips and tricks to help you achieve smooth and silky hair at home.
Benefits of Smoothening hair
Now that you know what hair smoothening is, let us see some benefits of this procedure.
- Hair smoothing is safe for coloured and bleached hair.
- It reduces hassle and fuss for maintenance, especially for wavy-curly hair types.
- It retains your natural hair structure to some extent, unlike hair straightening.
- It looks healthier, shinier, yet natural.
Types of hair smoothening processes
There are mainly two hair smoothening processes – keratin-based and thermal reconditioning. Read on to know more!
1. Keratin-based treatments
- Keratin is a protein that rebuilds the strength in your hair.
- There are two types of keratin-based treatment – Brazilian Blowout and Cysteine Treatment.
- A Brazilian Blowout is safe for coloured or bleached hair.
- It allows you to curl your hair as well.
- It uses chemicals such as formaldehyde solution. As mentioned above, formaldehyde is an irritant that causes allergy-like symptoms.
- On the other hand, Cysteine treatment uses formaldehyde-free keratin products with less severe side effects.
2. Thermal Reconditioning (or Japanese Straightening)
- This method of hair smoothening ensures absolutely straight locks.
- Unlike a Brazilian blow-out, you can not curl your hair or even get beach waves.
- Your pin-straight locks are sealed with a neutraliser.
- It is more time-consuming than a standard keratin treatment.
Irrespective of the in-salon method you choose for smoothening, your hair will always be susceptible to damage.
How to smoothen your hair at home
Let us look at this DIY hair mask that smoothens your hair at home.
- 5-6 tbsp curd
- 1 egg (if you do not consume egg at home, you can use aloe vera gel instead)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1.5 tbsp castor oil
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a container, add 5 to 6 tbsp curd.
- Break the egg and add the yolk to the curd.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil. If you do not have olive oil, you can substitute it with coconut oil.
- Add 1.5 tbsp castor oil, followed by 1/2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients using a whisker. Ensure there are no lumps and air bubbles in the mix.
- Once the consistency is even, add 2 to 3 tbsp cornflour and whisk it again.
- Make sure your hair is washed and not oily before applying this mask.
- Comb and detangle your hair.
- Divide your hair into two sections. You can take the edge of your comb and section it by parting it from the centre.
- Smoothen the two sections with your hands.
- For ease of application, you can create sub-sections.
- Apply this mask with a brush or applicator on the roots and work your way to the ends.
- After applying, leave it on for one hour.
How to wash your hair
- Rinse the hair mask off using normal water.
- Apply your favourite shampoo and conditioner.
- Wash it off. Make sure there is no residue of the mask in your hair.
6 Easy Tips and Tricks For Smooth Hair
After investing so much time and effort into achieving smooth and silky hair at home, you need to look after your beautiful tresses as well.
These easy and efficient tips and tricks will do wonders for your hair, so let us check them out!
Tip #1 – Be mindful of the water you use for rinsing.
- Rinse your hair with normal to cold water.
- Using lukewarm or hot water can cause an itchy scalp, flakiness, and dandruff.
Tip #2 – Apply high-quality protective hair serum.
- A protective hair serum will avoid over-heating and frying your hair from straighteners and curlers.
- It will also provide a glossier look to your tresses!
Tip #3 – Avoid applying excessive heat to your hair.
- One of the reasons your hair undergoes any damage after an in-salon treatment is from the heat generated from styling products!
- Since you are using natural, homemade ingredients to improve your hair texture, you should give your hair a break from straighteners and curlers.
Tip #4 – Use shampoos and conditioners with minimum chemicals.
- If your favourite shampoo and conditioner contain sulphates, you need to switch to a milder product.
- Sulphates are harmful to your hair as they strip off all the natural oils and moisture.
- As a result, your hair feels dry, frizzy, and brittle.
Tip #5 – Avoid tugging and pulling your roots while combing.
- While combing your hair, avoid pulling your roots from the get-go.
- Start from the tips and gradually work your way to the roots.
- This ensures easier detangling while protecting your hair from being tugged.
Tip #6 – Always pat dry your hair!
- After washing your hair, rubbing your scalp to remove excess water causes damage.
- It makes the hair frizzy and susceptible to breakage.
- Use a gentle towel and pat dry your hair.
Hair smoothing is an excellent solution to relieve your hair from dullness and dryness.
While an in-salon experience can always make your hair susceptible to damage, home-based remedies are here to save the day!
We would love to know about your hair smoothing experience – whether it was at home or in a salon!
We will continue to update our page with more such articles. So, stick around for your dose of authentic, reliable information!