Suppose you are a fan of Man Vs. Wild, you would have noticed Bear Grylls making his water purifier at the world’s oddest places. If he could make some of the dirtiest water drinkables, nothing could stop us from doing the same.
Contrary to popular belief, it is common and easy to make a water filter at home. It could be for a science project or an emergency. Regardless of your reason, we are here to teach you some of our favorite ways to filter water. By the end of this article, you will have enough knowledge resources to make your water filter at home.
3 Ways for DIY Water Filter at Home
In order to provide you more options, we have described the three ways through which you can make your water filter at home. You can choose the one according to your comfort and the resources available.
Charcoal Water Purifier
You would have seen people describing charcoal as a good water purifying component. Well, they are not exaggerating.
Activated charcoal helps in removing toxins from the water. Moreover, it does so without stripping the water of crucial minerals and salts.
Furthermore, it helps in removing chlorine, taste, and odor from the water.
- Fresh and cooled charcoal
- Two plastic soda bottle (one large and one small)
- Craft knife
- Small and Large Stones
- Cut the bottom part of the small soda bottle. Along with that, cut the bottle cap part of the big bottle.
- Place a cotton ball deep inside the small bottle with the cap intact.
- Once it is placed, pour in the charcoal, followed by the sand granules.
- Put in some small stones as the fourth layer.
- Fill the rest of the empty space with big stones.
- Poke a small hole in the small bottle cap and place it above the big bottle.
- Ensure that the bottles hold their places throughout the process.
- Start pouring in the dirty water through the layers.
- Repeat the process till you get clean water.
Coffee Filter Water Purifier
You would have often seen water purifiers with coffee filters. It is because it helps remove the larger debris from the water and other dirt particles.
- Two plastic bottles
- Paper towels
- Coffee filters
- Rubber bands
- Small stones
- Cut the bottle in half with scissors and remove its cap.
- Cover the open end with gauze and put a rubber band over it to hold it in place.
- Place it over the other half of the bottle in such a way that the gauze is facing down.
- Start by placing the coffee filter, followed by some small stones.
- Once everything is in place, pour in the dirty water.
- The water will filter through the layers and drip down through the gauze.
- Check the color of the water dripping down.
- If you are unsure, repeat the process till you get clean water.
Fruit Peel Water Purifier
Fruits peels like apples, tomatoes, or bananas can go a long way in filtering contaminated water. You can use them in two ways.
a) Soaking the Peels
- Apple or tomato peels
- Rubbing alcohol solution
- Take some rubbing alcohol solution and soak the peels in them.
- Keep them for some time.
- Remove the peels and let them dry.
- Place the peels in a container of contaminated water.
- After a few hours, remove the peels.
- The water left behind is clean and free of contaminants.
b) Coffee Filter
- Banana peel
- Coffee filter
- Plastic bottle
- Peel the banana and grind it in a blender.
- Once it is blended, place it on a coffee filter.
- Place the coffee filter over a plastic bottle.
- While holding the filter, pour the water through it.
- As banana is known to absorb bacteria from water, you will get fresh and healthy water.
How Effective are Homemade Methods?
Like we mentioned before, homemade water filters can remove the contaminants from the water, especially the visible ones.
To check the authenticity of the homemade filters, you can add some sand particles or food coloring.
But should you be using them on a regular basis?
The aforementioned methods are only to be used during emergencies or as a last resort. They are not meant to replace the technical and mechanical water filters available in the market.
Even if you use the methods, we would still recommend you to boil the water to be 100% sure.
But coming to the water filters, they are irreplaceable. They are specifically made to filter the water and get rid of any bacteria.
RO water purifiers are taking the market by storm due to their advantages. Besides giving you an enhanced quality of water, you can also steer clear of cancer-like dangers.
Other benefits include relief in constipation issues, a better quality of food, less falling sick, no gastrointestinal issues, amongst the others.
Hence, it is best to get a good home water purifier for the safety of yourself and your family.
But whenever you need a quick water purifier, either during camping or for a fun science project, you can use the methods mentioned above.