Is your skincare routine too expensive? You obviously want to have a glowing natural skin but why are you paying so much? How about I tell you that the possibly cheapest thing in your kitchen can serve as the best skincare item!
Yes, and it is rice. Rice can be used as a productive item for face as well hair betterment.
But how can rice be used as skincare or hair-care supplement?
Rice Water: A Skincare Home Remedy
Rice is long considered as a staple food in most parts of the world. Rice as a food is included in our meals and it is not unusual. But what might strike unusual to you is that rice can also be used as remedies/hack for skincare.
Did you know that? No?
Then you are not from China. If you would have been from China, you would know that Chinese women, especially from villages, have used rice water for stronger, shinier, thicker hairs and glowing skins, for ages.
Around 1,200 years ago, Geishas used rice water to rinse their hair as well as wash their face and eventually, they realised how beneficial rice water is for smooth, supple skin and lustrous hair.
Other Asian countries like Korea, Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia have also linked their secret of having amazing skin and hair to the history of using rice water as a skincare supplement in their countries as well. While other countries flash their not-so-effective and expensive skincare products to the world, Asian countries quietly used rice water for better skin as well as hair.
How exactly rice water is helpful?
How Is It Helpful For Your Face?
Let us take a look at some benefits that is commonly noticed among rice water users.
- Soothes your sensitive skin: Rinsing your face with rice water will prevent your skin from rashes and inflammation due to minor changes in your immediate environment. When done twice a day, it gives better results.
- Prevents acne and pimples:Pimples and acnes are nothing but tiny bumps of dirt and oils formed on your face. The antioxidants present in rice water clear the blemishes, oils and dirt from your skin, and provides a soothing effect on it.
- Brighter skin: Rice water is a brilliant skin brightening remedy. Continuous usage of rice water on a regular basis will lighten up the unwanted freckles and spots on your skin. It is also helpful in reducing dark circles under your eyes.
- Treats on dry skin: Many skincare products that are available in the market have harmful chemicals, like Sodium Laurel Sulphate (SLS), in them. These chemicals damage the skin texture and soak away its moisture. Rice water, twice a day, helps return the lost moisture to the skin and rejuvenates it.
- Anti-ageing qualities: Rice water is rich in phenolic compounds, flavonoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin C and Vitamin A. all these essential nutrients help in restoring the elasticity, texture and the lost youth of your skin.
- Sun Protection: Rice water not only helps in skin glow but also protects the glow from the harmful UV rays of the sun. It also treats on sunburns and sun-damaged skin.
- Protection against Skin Cancer: Rice water promotes cell growth and cell regeneration. The antioxidants present in the rice water prevent the cancer generating cells from spreading throughout the body.
The benefits of rice water are not limited to skins only. Rice water is beneficial for hairs as well. Let us know how.
How Is It Helpful For Your Hair?
Rice water for hairs has shown innumerable positive results throughout the world. Let’s check out some of its benefits.
- Hair Growth:Most of the nutrients and minerals that are essential for hair growth are present in rice water. These components nourish the hair from its roots and promote faster hair growth.
- Treats on dry, brittle and frizzy hair:The goodness of rice water restores elasticity and texture of the hair, and reduces the fizziness as well. The inositol present in rice water repairs the hair damages and prevents split ends.
- Better hair texture: The antioxidants present in rice water cleanse and support the scalp environment. It also helps is attaining the moisture in the scalp as well.
How To Prepare Rice Water
Preparation of the right solution of rice water is really important for getting the results you expected. There are some common methods of preparation.
Soaked Rice Water:
- Rinse the rice with water thoroughly to wash out the dirt and the unwanted particles from the rice.
- Take the rice in container and add water (at least 4 times the amount of rice) to it.
- Let the rice soak in the water for at least 20 to 30 minutes, for the water to absorb all the nutrients.
- Strain the rice out and transfer the water into a bottle (of your convenience).
- Store the rice water in the refrigerator and you can utilize it for over a week.
Boiled Rice Water:
- Rinse the rice thoroughly with water to wash out the dirt.
- Take the rise in a pan and add the same amount of water as mentioned above.
- Turn on the flame and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Strain the rice out and then transfer the water into a bottle (of your convenience).
- Store the rice water in the refrigerator for further use.
Fermented Rice Water:
- Rinse the rice with water in the similar fashion as mentioned above.
- Take out the rice in a container and add water, 3 to 4 times the amount of rice, to it.
- Keep the prepared mixture in the room temperature for at least one to two days. (In this process you do not have to refrigerate the mixture).
- After two days, if you sense a sour smell coming from the container, then your mixture is prepared.
- Strain out the rice and use the water for different purposes.
Rice Water Ice Cubes: (For Face & Body)
- Prepare the ‘soaked rice water’ solution as mentioned above.
- For storing the rice water in the refrigerator, take out the ice cube tray and pour the solution into it.
- Now you can gently rub the rice water ice cubes on your face or body as and when required.
How To Use Rice Water
After preparing the right solution of rice water, you need to know how to use it properly for different purposes.
- After applying shampoo to your hair, rinse it thoroughly till no lather remains in your scape.
- Slowly pour the prepared rice water onto your head from scalp to the tips.
- Thoroughly rinse your hair with the rice water.
- Keep it for at least 10 minutes before rinsing properly.
- You can even add some essential oils into the rice water before applying.
Rice Water Toner
- Wash you face with a ‘face wash’ product.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Take a small blob of cotton and soak it into the rice water.
- Gently tap the cotton all over our face for the rice water to get absorbed properly.
- Prepare a mixture of ‘soaked rice’, essential oils, some sea salt and citrus.
- Gently rub the mixture throughout your body.
- Wait for some time and then rinse thoroughly.
Due to huge popularity and effectiveness, rice water is one of the best and pocket-friendly items to be used for skin and hair betterment. It can be naturally prepared in our homes without using any chemicals. The benefits of rice water shadows over the expensive skincare and hair-care products that are available in the market. Therefore, it would be smart of you if you started using rice water instead of store-bought products.