We are sure you would agree that good sleep is mandatory for a healthy you…but, in order to assure a good sleep, selecting the right mattress is equally important. A lot of us might have no clue regarding how our mattress can affect our sleep and therefore our well-being.
A bad mattress may cause physiological issues which can affect your lifestyle negatively and cause health issues. Therefore, before buying a mattress you must take into consideration a few factors and then decide.
With a variety of options available in the market, it must be tough for you to decide what would be the most suitable mattress for you. You must be wondering what are factors you must look for in your mattress. In this article, we have covered such details for you in order to make the task easier for you.
Factors to look for in a mattress
- Keep comfort in mind. It may vary from person to person. While some of you might prefer mattresses that are very soft, some might go with slightly firm ones. On the basis of your preferences, you can decide the level of firmness that suits you.
- The Durability of your mattress decides its longevity. Try to choose a material that is long-lasting. This will assure your value for money as you won’t have to keep buying new ones frequently.
- A good mattress must provide enough support to your body. It ensures a uniform flow of blood through your body at night and can help in relieving pain and fatigue.
- Mattresses come in different sizes. It is important to keep the size of your mattress in mind while shopping for it. Choosing the right size of your mattress as per your need is important.
- In case you are sharing your bed with a partner, look for Motion Isolation in your mattress. Motion Isolation ensures that your sleep does not get disturbed in case your partner is tossing and turning around.
For you to get a deeper understanding of things to keep in mind while looking for mattresses, let’s further take you into the types of mattresses that you can find in India. Along with that, we shall go into the details of discussing the pros and cons too.
5 Types of mattresses available in India
1. Memory foam Mattress
Memory foam mattresses are topped with memory foam, which is a viscoelastic material, hence it steadily adjusts to your body while you lay down. These mattresses are denser than other foam mattresses, which makes them even more comfortable as well as supportable.
Memory foam mattresses are called so since they retain the pressure your body exerts even after you leave the bed, and remember the pressure points.
- Memory foam mattresses are good at relieving pressure on painful joints.
- They maintain the body heat by absorbing it, hence can be good for use in winters.
- It has anti-dust and anti-microbial properties.
- A memory foam mattress is also good for back pain, spine pain, and shoulder pain. Its open-cell structure helps it in remembering the pressure points of your body, hence adjusting the mattress accordingly when you sleep on it.
- Memory foam mattresses can be on the more expensive side as compared to the regular ones.
- These mattresses could be smelly for a few days after buying due to the chemicals that are used during their production process.
- These mattresses are suitable only for people with average body weight.
- The fact that memory foam mattresses can hold on to body heat can be both a disadvantage as well as an advantage. It totally depends on whether you are comfortable with the heat or would prefer insulation while sleeping.
2. PU Foam/ Polyurethane Mattress
Polyfoam mattress is quite popular since it is soft, comfortable, as well as widely available. It is somewhat like memory foam but bouncier and lighter than it. Polyurethane foam mattress also regulates temperature better as compared to the memory foam mattress which helps in keeping it cool.
- PU foam is quite suitable for the climate of India since it regulates the temperature better due to its expansible cell pore size.
- It comes at a decent price, is easily available, and is lightweight.
- Since it is lightweight, a PU foam mattress can easily be shifted and moved around.
- PU foam mattresses are comfortable and offer a good sleeping experience.
- Since it is bouncier in nature, polyfoam can be good for people who are on the heavier side of scales.
- PU foam demands more maintenance than other kinds of mattresses since it easily attracts dust particles.
- PU foam mattresses do not provide very strong support due to their soft nature.
- PU Foam mattresses are not long-lasting and might get damaged soon.
3. Coir Mattresses
Coir mattress is made of natural material and is eco-friendly. It is quite firm and does not exhibit motion transfer, therefore providing firm support to the body. However, a memory foam mattress offers better support than the coir one.
- Coir mattresses are economical and can be bought at a low cost.
- A coir mattress is quite firm and offers good support to the body.
- Coir mattresses offer good ventilation and can help in keeping you cool.
- A coir mattress is not very durable and may not last long.
- Coir mattress is susceptible to termites and bed bugs.
- Since Coir mattresses are very firm, they can get uncomfortable to sleep on.
4. Spring Mattresses
Spring mattress is made of springs covered with a fluffy cushion covering. The springs give it a bouncy feel.
- You can find them at a price lower than the Foam Mattresses.
- Spring mattresses provide medium comfort in case of backache.
- Spring mattresses can be quite breathable, because of the expansive space between the coils. Thus, they can help in keeping you cool during the night.
- Given its bouncy nature, a spring mattress exhibits motion transfer, i.e., if your partner moves, your sleep might get disturbed too.
- Spring mattresses can be quite noisy, hence disturbing.
5. Orthopaedic mattresses
Orthopaedic mattresses are designed for those who have been diagnosed with medical conditions, like joint or back-related problems. They can prove to be beneficial in such cases. They come in different materials and types and are usually very dense.
- Orthopaedics often recommend sleeping on such mattresses in order to deal with joint or spine-related disorders.
- All kinds of Orthopaedic mattresses are firmer than the normal ones, therefore they provide maximum support to the body.
- They can help in dealing with disorders like spondylosis.
- Orthopaedic mattresses are not suitable for all types of people. Since these mattresses are quite firm, they might get uncomfortable to sleep on.
- They cost more than a regular mattress.
Along with the type and nature of material that goes into making a mattress, the size of a mattress is also an important factor to be considered before buying one. Let’s go through the different sizes of mattresses available in India and find out what would suit you the most.
Size of Mattress:
You will be required to choose the size of your mattress as per the size of your bed. While you can get your mattresses customised, there are also few standard-sized mattresses available in the market that can suit your requirement.
The options are you can choose from as per the size of your bed are:
Single bed mattress: It is likely that you would prefer a single-sized mattress in case you sleep alone or are buying it for a kid. The dimensions of a single bed mattress are 75 inches long and 36 inches wide.
Double bed mattress: You can find this mattress generally sized between 54 inches wide and 75 inches long.
Queen-size mattress: You can find a queen-size mattress in any range between 60 inches to 80 inches.
King-size mattress: The measurement for a king-size mattress varies from 76 inches to 80 inches.
Tip: You must make sure that you test the mattress before buying it. It’ll help you assure whether the particular mattress is right for you or not.
Could sleeping on a soft mattress prove bad for you?
Sleeping on a mattress that is too soft can cause certain health-related problems as well as back and neck aches. It is recommended to go for a firmer mattress; however, the level of firmness varies from person to person. It depends on the position you sleep in, your body weight and other such factors.
With all the mattress related details we have provided, we are sure you’d be all set for your hunt for the perfect mattress. Keeping all these details, pros and cons in your mind, you will surely be able to grab the one suitable for you!