When food is prepared on the stove or in the oven, smells spread throughout the kitchen and throughout the house. Often not very pleasant. And that’s not the only problem. Together with odours, harmful substances are released into the air, fat is sprayed, steam is formed. To avoid this, do not hear the smell of cooking food, it is recommended to install an extractor.
Before purchase, it is worth studying their features and finding out the permitted height of the hood above the hob. The correct installation depends on its performance and comfortable use. It is especially important to correctly determine the height of the hood above the gas stove, since this is a source of an open fire and, accordingly, the most dangerous type of device.
What affects the distance between the plate and the hood
Initially, you should plan the distance between the stove and the hood. This technique works in a team and there are a number of requirements for which it is worth picking them up to each other: the hood should be equal to the plate or be slightly wider. And the number of speeds and performance of the mechanism for air purification depends on the number of burners and the type of device.
You also need to correctly calculate the height of installation. In any instruction there are clear recommendations of the manufacturer in this regard. If they are not observed, you should not expect high-quality work from the unit:
- Too low location can cause fire or decay of soot. It accumulates over time in the filters. Therefore, the close proximity of fire with the decay products of combustion is dangerous fire.
- A person of high or short stature will be uncomfortable to cook: you can touch the body of the device with your head, there is a difficulty in cleaning due to difficult access.
- Maintenance will also create difficulties in replacing and cleaning the filter.
- The radius of absorption of secretions with low installation will be smaller, which will affect the result of work.
- If the installation is too high, the suction efficiency will decrease, there will be a need for the device to operate at maximum power.
During installation, it is worth considering some parameters that affect the options for installations:
- performance of the unit, on which the efficiency of work depends;
- type of device, its distinctive features;
- the general appearance of the device should be in harmony with the interior and size of the kitchen;
- the growth of a person using kitchen appliances.
Before purchase, you should make preliminary calculations at what height to hang the hood over the electric stove or gas surface. The requirements are different and must be taken into account. Even before purchase, you should study all the characteristics of the device: how it is installed, how the treated air is removed. In the store, consult with the seller on all any questions that arise.
Types of kitchen hoods
During the planning of the interior of the kitchen or buying a model to an existing headset, you need to take into account the distance from the hood to the gas stove and the working surface (countertop). The most minimal is the height of the hood above the induction plate, since there is no open fire.
In any case, choosing an air intake, you should understand how it works. The differences boil down to a few points.
According to the type of removal of used air, hoods are divided into:
- Flow – lead the exhaust air through the internal filters and output to the vent channel. In typical kitchens, this is the best option.
- In a room where ventilation is not provided, the circulation type processes the air and returns it back.
- Flow-circulation, which combine both properties. The user himself can select the function at the moment by pressing the pre-desired button.
The method of installation also affects the height of the hood:
- The dome is attached directly to the wall. Its installation does not cause special difficulties.
- Built-in is installed directly inside the body of the upper cabinet. When assembling a kitchen set, assemblers can mount it together with other built-in appliances. But you need to know the dimensions at the time of ordering the kitchen, since the designers take into account these parameters at the project stage.
- Corner, based on the name, is located on the side, under the hob, which significantly saves space on the kitchen countertop.
- The island type is mounted to the ceiling. For ease of use, compliance with safety and aesthetics, it is necessary to provide in advance in the process of repair a section with a hidden air duct and wires.
Distance from the plate and hood
Before starting the calculation of the distance to the hood, it is worth choosing the type of air intake. They are parallel to the plate (horizontal), or at an angle (inclined). What are the differences between their work? Horizontal is at an angle of 90 degrees, and all the steam, smell, small splashes of fat are absorbed much easier. Vertical looks attractive, but sometimes it needs to be turned on at high power to increase efficiency. But it is much more convenient to use this type of equipment – it is excluded to touch the body with your head.
After selecting the unit, calculations are made at what height to hang the hood over the gas stove. A common mistake after buying kitchen appliances is missing or missing the stage of determining the minimum distance from the hood to the gas stove, which will necessarily entail unnecessary costs.
Manufacturers of equipment attach to their goods installation schemes. There you will find recommendations for measurements and approximate calculations. To understand at what distance from the gas stove should hang the hood of your model, you need to know the type of inclination of the air intake.
Horizontal and inclined devices are mounted at different heights. The first is located parallel to the gas burners, so it must be placed higher than the inclined one. The latter is allowed to be mounted just below.
These are devices with a wall type of installation, most often compact and with the most interesting design. The height of the inclined hood from the stove is determined by several parameters – the size of the room and the type of hob. The growth of a person does not play a special role here, since the risk of touching the body with his head is minimal. Therefore, these devices are best suited for tall ones.
The reference point at what height to hang an inclined hood over a gas stove comes primarily from the headset project and the manufacturer’s instructions. The calculation is based on the gap between the lower edge of the air intake and the burners.
Make sure that it does not exceed 55 cm Although the risk of fire here is minimal, but still it exists. Plus, from exposure to open fire and high temperatures, some parts of the hood can melt or become unusable. But above 65 cm to install impractical. In this case, a large suction power may be required. For the electric surface, the norm is 35-45 cm. There are fewer risks, so the requirements are reduced.
These are low, often flat devices that can work in any room. For the classic horizontal type, the distance of the hood from the stove is calculated based on the type of cooker. The norms here are different. Above the gas burners, the air intake is located above the lower part of the hinged body, about 65-85 cm And if you have an electric version, then the hood is allowed to be mounted flush with the upper kitchen cabinets. The same applies to the built-in device. Here the height of the kitchen hood above the stove is allowed a little lower – from 60 to 80 cm.
How to measure the distance
Independently measure the height of the hood installation above the plate should be in compliance with a number of requirements. First, before installation, it is worth modeling the alleged process of work: lean over to the last burners, try to put a heavy pan. It’s better to do it with an assistant.
Mark on the wall the minimum distance at which you can easily use the equipment. Next, according to the norms of the distance from the hob to the hood, measure the recommended height on the wall. The lower point will be the hob itself, and the top will be the hood filter. The inclined device takes into account its bottom. The final measurement will be obtained based on the average values of norms and convenience in work.
Important rules for installing the hood
Going to independently mount the air intake, study in advance the rules that guide the installation. This is especially true of the norms and requirements for the height of the hood above the gas stove:
- The width of the hood and the size of the cooker should always coincide for the optimal performance of their functions, or be slightly larger. The main requirement is not more than a stove.
- By standards, the distance from the hood to the stove depends on the type of hob prescribed in the operating manual.
- Install the outlet to which the device is connected as far as possible from the stove. It is good when it is above the kitchen set or hidden behind the cabinet doors. Wires must be placed far from the sources of ignition.
- In the box itself and the place of connection of the hood to the air duct should not be many corners and turns. Otherwise, the air, meeting many obstacles, will leave with difficulty and unnecessary noise.
- It is necessary to observe the norms of the height of the hood over the gas stove, which are described in the instructions for the technique in order to avoid fire. There are no general boundaries of the distance according to GOST from the gas stove to the hood in the kitchen, but they exist at each manufacturer. You can get acquainted with them in the instruction manual. It is necessary to adhere to these recommendations when determining the height of the hood above the gas stove.
- In the absence of a ventshahta, you should choose a circulation option. It’s much easier to mount.
Step-by-step installation of the hood over the gas stove
When planning an independent installation, you need to understand all the nuances in advance and prepare for work. Since the distance from the gas stove to the hood in the kitchen is not determined by GOST, the manufacturer’s instructions are taken into account. In them, in addition to calculating the height of the installation when installing the hood over the gas stove, the possible mounting options are listed. Taking into account all the moments, it will not cause difficulties to mount the equipment yourself.
Preparation for installation works
Before installation, it is necessary to properly prepare for it:
- According to the manufacturer’s instructions, we check the presence of all parts and elements of the device, evaluate their appearance. This stage will allow you to return a low-quality copy or missing components in time.
- We evaluate the reliability of the surface for fastening, as well as whether there are gas communications nearby. If they interfere with installation, it is worth thinking about transferring them or installing the device on the bracket.
- We make the necessary measurements and finally determine at what distance the hood should be located above the gas stove.
- If you plan to install a plastic duct, you will need to add an adapter. It is required when the duct and outlet holes do not match.
Mounting the hood over the gas stove
If the duct is angular, horizontal or domed, its body is mounted against the wall. In the configuration to the device is usually a template for installation, where the places of attachment are marked. It should only be attached to the surface and make marks.
If there is no template, it is necessary to attach the body at the required height of the hood installation above the gas stove, and outline the holes. Most often make four slots for fastening. Next, drill holes in the wall on the marks and fix the plugs of the dowels in them. Now the case can be hung on dowels.
If the installation of built-in equipment is required, then it is fixed similarly, but only to the walls of the cabinet. Here the dimensions of the upper cabinets of the headset are also taken into account. It is necessary to correlate their dimensions with the norms for accurate determination at what height to hang the hood over the gas stove.
Connection of the hood to the ventilation system
The next step is to connect the air intake to the ventilation system. For these purposes, you should choose a suitable air duct. They are:
- Aluminium corrugated. Lightweight and flexible material, it is cheaper than its plastic counterparts, but more noisy.
- Plastic pvc. They can be round or rectangular in shape. They are ergonomic, less noisy, and adapters allow you to create any bend of the structure.
Supplement the duct with a special grille, if there is only one hole for ventilation in the room. It has slots in its body for free air outflow, regardless of the connected vent channel. The instructions describe all the nuances of connection. Next, after determining the height of the exhaust hood above the gas stove, fixing the air intake housing and connecting to ventilation, the unit is included in the outlet.
Connection of equipment to the mains
The device is connected to a regular outlet. It is necessary to check for grounding. All modern models are immediately equipped with a fork, but if it is not, then you can do it with the help of a terminal block. Wires that cannot be hidden behind the body are located in the cable channel. Based on how high the hood is installed above the gas stove, the outlet is mounted. It must be placed as far as possible from an open fire to avoid fire.
The main errors in the installation of the hood
In order for the air intake to work effectively and without interruption, a number of errors that are often found with improper installation should be avoided:
- Connection of the duct to a single vent channel. This is the most common mistake of amateur masters. In order not to disturb the process of natural ventilation, when connecting the duct, you need to use a channel with a grille and a check valve.
- Failure to comply with the recommended distance between the stove and the hood. Too high – reduces the performance of the device, and very low – increases the risk of fire and failure of the device.
- A lot of bends in the duct increase the noise level, disrupt the movement of the flow, especially if they go one after another.
- Discrepancy between the power of the equipment and the ventilation duct capable of passing a smaller volume of air.
- You can not independently remove the air duct through the wall directly into the street. This is prohibited by law.
- Improper installation of the check valve entails failures in the operation of the hood.
Before planning the purchase of a furniture set, it is important to consider what height of the hood above the stove will be optimal. After all, the correct installation affects not only the quality of the unit, but also ensures the safety of the family. Therefore, the best solution is to follow the recommendations of manufacturers and prevent common mistakes.