The chimney is one of the leading electrical appliances in the kitchen. It provides air purification from dust, grease, water vapour and small particles formed during cooking. The socket for it is usually done separately, in the upper part of the kitchen. The rules and nuances of placing the outlet for the chimney will be described below.
Types of electric kitchen chimneys
All appliances for cleaning the air in the kitchen work on electricity. According to the method of placement, there are:
- built-in devices.
The most popular chimneys that are mounted inside the locker – the so-called built-in.
Depending on what model you have, you need to choose a socket for the chimney for the kitchen. It should be located nearby since the device’s wire is usually no more than 80 cm. It is also desirable to arrange the outlet not to catch the eye and spoil the kitchen’s interior. Depending on the type of chimneys, there may be a different connection to the mains.
The easiest way to hide the outlet under the chimney in the kitchen is with built-in models. Then it is installed in the same locker as the device itself, slightly on the side. Another option is right above the headset. It is necessary to mount it after selecting and installing furniture or at least when its location is known precisely, the boundaries of the lockers.
With hanging chimneys, the PowerPoint can also be organized in the nearest locker. In the back wall of the furniture make a hole for this. It is placed on the side of one of the walls for corner models, which will be less noticeable. Often have a socket above the level of the upper cabinets (from 10 to 30 cm). The closer it is to the closet (but not less than 5 cm), the less noticeable it is when viewed from a height of human growth.
Sometimes the outlet is hidden under the chimney box. The most challenging thing is to make an electric point for island models. If the outlet under the ceiling does not suit you, you can connect the electrical appliance directly to the wiring. The plug is not used. Wires are connected directly by crimping, soldering or using terminals. Manual twisting does not refer to a secure fastening. It is essential that the connection was made qualitatively in compliance with safety precautions.
You can not install the outlet behind the cabinets so that access to it is required to move the furniture. It’s inconvenient and unsafe.
Choice of electrical outlet and cable
For the connection to be safe, the kitchen outlet is chosen with a degree of protection from IP 42 and above. Such products are fully protected from the penetration of dust particles and are resistant to droplets at an angle of fewer than 15 degrees. There should be protective curtains on the holes for the fork.
The total current strength determines the thickness of the cable. Usually, it is from 15 A. On one line, the load should not be more than 4 kW. If incomplete, the devices are turned on and consume current more than this value; you can stretch a separate line from the new machine in the panel.
The power of the chimneys is on average from 100 to 400 watts. These figures correspond to the current strength of 2 A. The thickness of the wire is from 1 to 1.5 mm sq. However, more often, use a three-core wire with a small margin – 2.5 mm sq. Then, if necessary, you can connect another device to the outlet.
PowerPoint Setting Rule
Choosing at what height the outlet will be, you need to follow the Electrical Electrical Installations (rules for the device of electrical installations). They provide minimum distances from the network to other items in the kitchen:
- To the furniture 5 cm.
- To ventilation 20 cm.
- Up to the chimney body 30 cm.
- From the edge of the sink and hob at least 30 cm.
- If the socket under the chimney and the wires pass inside the furniture, they should be further isolated. Wires are placed in a steel casing with a corrugated surface. Sockets are mounted not to wood or chipboard but a fireproof base.
A socket close to the stove can melt, quickly clog.
The height of the socket for the chimney on average is:
- From the floor 180 – 200 cm.
- From the countertop 100 – 110 cm.
The height of the socket for the chimney in the kitchen varies depending on the model of the chimney and the size of its location above the stove: over the gas, leave 75 cm, above the electric – 65 cm.
To calculate the height of the socket for the chimney in your kitchen, you need to add the size of the device itself (from 15 to 30 cm) and 5 cm (1/ 2 length of the outlet) to the distance from the stove to the chimney.
Installation of electrical outlets in compliance with PES
At the slightest doubt in their abilities, it is better to entrust this work to a specialist. Remember that most homes fires are due to faulty wiring. Professional installation of the outlet includes the following stages:
- Determine the place where to make a socket for the chimney. It is better to do this when the chimney has already been purchased; furniture is installed.
- Turn off the machine in the shield. It would help if you made sure that the voltage is absent with the help of a tester or multthat the voltage is utterly absent meter placed in strobes (grooves in the wall), made during the repair of the kitchen.
- Prepare the cable for connection. The insulation layer from the outside is removed by 20 cm, exposed and cut the wires by 5 – 10 cm. One edge is attached to the shield, the other – to the outlet.
- Mount the sub-socket box, align it and fix it with screws. At the same time, the fastening “moustache” diverges and firmly holds the product in the wall. These retainers should be of sufficient length. The socket after installation should not hang out; pull out of the wall if you pull on the plug.
- The wire supplying the current is carried into the terminal and fixed with a screw. Extra cables are hidden inside the box. In the middle hole is the ground wire, “zero” and “phase” in the extreme.
- Mount the front part of the outlet.
- Connect the cable to the electrical panel. Check whether the device works after connecting to the outlet.
Connection of electrical outlet
If you haven’t dealt with electricity before, it’s best to call an electrician or someone you know who understands. If desired, you can do it yourself with strict observance of safety precautions. The main thing is to understand the purpose of each wire accurately:
- brown (primary colour), white or red – phase;
- blue and blue – zero;
- some have green or yellow (yellow-green) colour.
Connect them to the outlet need each in its place. Screwing wires is considered less reliable than fixing with terminals or soldering. When installing terminals, you need to be careful not to squeeze the cables too much.
Power of electrical appliances in the kitchen
The larger the family and more often cook on the stove, the more necessary the chimney. What power is required, you can calculate, knowing the parameters of the kitchen (the volume of the room is multiplied by 12). The most potent appliances in the kitchen include:
- Oven 2,5 – 4 kW.
- Cooking surface 1 – 6 kW.
- Washing machine 1 – 3 kW.
- Dishwasher 0.5 – 2,8 kW.
Less energy consumption of such equipment:
- Microwave oven 1,5 – 3 kW.
- Coffee maker up to 1,5 kW.
- Electric kettle 1 – 2 kW.
- Electric grill 1 – 2 kW.
- Refrigerator 0,15 – 0,2 kW.
- chimney up to 0.5 kW.
Also, in the kitchen, many small appliances rely on included together. The power in of the kitchen of most of them does not exceed 1 or 2 kW.
- waffle shoe;
- sandwich girl;
- electric dryer.
When calculating the number of phases, it is necessary to consider the total load on the kitchen. If it is less than 4 kW, it is permissible to use one source. If more – for security reasons, at least two references are needed. Each group must have its RCD machine. It provides an automatic emergency shutdown in case of current leakage.
For all living quarters, use copper wiring thickness of at least 1.5 mm square. The wire is precisely suitable; you can choose a cross-section of 2.5 mm square meters with a margin. At a voltage of 12 V, you need a transformer.
Scheme of placement of sockets in the kitchen
Most outlets are arranged at the repair stage. Then the cable is built into the wall; it is not visible. It fits into specially prepared recesses – strobes. Some styles of kitchen design (for example, loft) allow the presence of open wires.
Moving the built-in outlet is always a hassle. It will be necessary to re-lay the strobes, putty the wall’s surface, cover with paint or wallpaper. To do this locally so that the place does not catch the eye is pretty tricky. It is better to provide enough outlets immediately when repairing the room.
All sockets are placed on three conditional lines:
- At the bottom of the kitchen – usually in the basement under the furniture at a distance from the floor of 20 – 30 cm Usually, it is at least four sockets: for the stove, dishwasher, washing machine, refrigerator. The socket for the plate should be designed for 25 A; a separate line is allocated for it.
- In the middle row (at the level of 1 – 1.5 m), sockets for electrical appliances are placed on the table. This is a microwave oven, toaster, grill, electric kettle and others. A minimum of 5 outlets is required for the working surface. It is better to organize two blocks of 3 sockets. You can place them closer to the working surface or the upper cabinets. You can provide sockets that are hidden in the tabletop.
- At the top, make a socket for the chimney in the kitchen, given the location of the device itself. Here you can also place sockets for lighting.
If you plan an island in the kitchen, take the wires to the sockets on the floor.
Number of outlets
Calculate the number of outlets based on the energy consumed and the list of electrical appliances in the kitchen. To avoid overload in the network, separate sockets are allocated for the stove, dishwasher and washing machine (who has it in the kitchen). Do not place sockets near the water source and near the stove.
Conveniently place the outlet should not only for the chimney but also for other electrical appliances. You can accurately plan the location of sockets and switches if you draw a plan of furniture, electrical kitchen appliances, lighting fixtures. Sockets and lighting are advised to distribute in 2 different groups so that each receives power from its machine.
All people use gadgets, often include chargers for phones, tablets in the kitchen. It is better to plan the number of outlets with a margin. 1 – 2 pieces are recommended to be installed in the dining area. The total number is usually at least 10 – 14 pieces.
So that sockets, electricians do not spoil the design of the kitchen, you need to think in advance where they will be, how you can hide them. However, remember about the most crucial thing – convenience and safety.